Monday, February 10, 2014

It's all how you look at things....

You know something?  I have really changed in the past couple of years.  I mean, I already knew that of course, but I'm noticing it more and more... especially on days like today. Today's been such an amazing day for me!  And it's not even dinner time yet! 

It had the potential to be a horrible day.  I didn't feel well when I woke up this morning.  I hadn't had a particularly restful sleep and really didn't have a lot of energy to work with.  But I forced myself to get up and start the day anyway.  I had a nice, hot shower and treated myself to a chocolate chai tea.  I was sorely tempted to write the entire day off and feign "sick" -- I have to be honest!  But I am so glad I pushed myself that extra little bit.

I opted for walking the 2+ km to my doctor's office this morning instead of busing.  I didn't feel like being around too many people and besides, I always enjoy hiking on the trail.  That is never a chore for me.  The weather was cold and crisp and perfect for walking so off I went.  I also grabbed my small point-and-shoot camera on my way out the door and shoved it in my pocket.   Admittedly, I was still  under the impression that the day was going to be a bust, but I chose to take my time to at least enjoy my walk and snap a few photos along the way.  The hiking trail is always peaceful and as I breathed in the fresh air, I could feel my tensions melting away.  The glittering, untouched snow was unbelievably beautiful.

These are the pictures I liked the best from the twenty or so I took this morning: 






Later, while I was sitting in the waiting room, I observed a not-quite-two-year-old girl "reading" the poster about getting a flu shot. "Wook, mama... s... h... o...t. That weads Sally is Happy to meet -- [she paused to think for a second] -- Oliver the Turtle. That's what that says, right?" I was flabbergasted!  She'll be a great reader and I suspect she also has the soul of a writer!  It made me smile.  Then she was off to get a cure for her tummy ache. 

When I finally got in to see my doctor, I was actually kind of annoyed to learn that that the only thing I was really there for this morning was to discuss that my first Vitamin D was low.  This is not a new thing.  Inside I thought,  "You couldn't have told me this over the phone?!"  But she gave me such a bright smile upon entering the room and said since she hadn't seen me since last year, she really wanted to talk and see how things were going for me.  I felt important (and a little sheepish for being miffed just a few minutes earlier!) She was so interested to hear about what I had going on in my life and said that I looked "great!" and that ever since the day she met me, happiness is all she has ever wished for my life.  Her face lit up when she saw me and it was just a really nice feeling.  We talked for a bit and she told me how good I looked and remarked that she was "so, so glad" to see me happy.  Dear, sweet  heart.  I adore her.  Her kindness really turned my day around.

When I went to the pharmacy to get my asthma puffer and Vitamin D refilled, even the pharmacist was glad to see me! She has always been very pleasant with me but I never knew that I was anyone special.  She said, "Ohh my gosh! Wow! I haven't seen you here in such a long time!  How have you been?"  and seemed genuinely interested to hear my answer.  She even asked me details about things I mentioned offhandedly to her last summer.  I couldn't believe that she remembered those things!  It blew me away.

So... my day seemed to be taking a turn for the better :-)

I then had to walk back home, with a brief stop at the shopping centre to do some errands.  I think I smiled the whole way there.

Last week, my Pathfinders and I prepared a small present for my friend Kimberly's little girl who is in the hospital.  I love this kid so very much and it broke my heart to know that she was going through another rough phase with her CF.  I sent Kim a photo of the girls writing their letters to Annika and when I got this one in return on my phone right there in the meeting, I have to admit....  I kind of lost control of those pesky tears that I tried so hard to keep at bay.  She is such a brave kid and she is truly my hero.  :`) 



When I entered Shoppers Drug Mart to send the box to this dear sweet girl, the lady at the cash was busy wiping things down with a wet-wipe.  She exclaimed, "I just knew that you were planning to stop by today, so I cleaned just for you!"  It gave me a chuckle.  :-)  Even that was something I appreciated today.  Like I said, it's the little things that matter most! 

I sent Annika's box and made my way over to the grocery store.  As I was rounding the corner into the pasta aisle, I saw an elderly lady openly weeping and clutching her purse to her chest.  She was all by herself.  She looked terrified and it truly broke my heart.  I approached her gently and asked if everything was ok.  She looked at me with sad eyes and whispered, "I think I'm lost!"  OK -- that almost did me in.  I almost cried with her!  I asked her if she would like some help, so I took her arm and we walked slowly over to the customer service desk together.  Just as I was explaining the situation to the cashier, the lady's daughter came rushing over.  What a tearful reunion - not so much on the mother's part, but the daughter's for sure.  The daughter explained that her mom is in the early stages of Alzheimer's and it's been really hard for them all to come to terms with.  They thanked me for my help and I went back to my shopping.  But... as I was packing up my groceries to leave the store, the mother came over to me and unexpectedly wrapped me in a big hug.  I have to admit I got teary -- again!  She then pressed a package of Trident Strawberry-Kiwi gum into my hand and praised me for my kind heart.  It was hard not to brush it off and say, "Oh don't mention it.  It was nothing!"  because it was obviously something to her.  All I said was "You're very welcome.  I hope you have a great lunch with your daughter!"  and I was on my way.  (Well... I was on my way after hiding out in a corner of the Metro foyer and wiping away a few stray tears!)  What an absolutely beautiful moment.  I now have a package of gum I don't particularly like  ;-)  but I have a feeling that this little token from her will become one of my most beloved treasures.




When I got home, I made myself a coffee, got some lunch and sat down to do some editing on my computer.... and found a few messages from my former sponsor child in the DR.  She's having a rough day today and hoped that I was online to chat.  I immediately messaged her and was glad to see that she was still there, waiting for me.  My Spanish is still not the greatest but thanks to Google Translate we were able to have a really good conversation.  She is still in therapy to work her way through some difficult things that have happened and I expressed how proud I was to know her and have the opportunity to be a part of her life.  She said, "Even when I was bad, I knew that at least I had you on my side."  :`)  

She also said, "I'm also proud of you, mami.  You are brave and have such a kind heart."  At one point her cheekiness came shining through and she made fun of me for messing up my Spanish.  She asked, "K idioma s ese???"  ("Which language is this?!"  -- cheeky bugger!)  When I mock-scolded her, she just laughed and said, "jajajaja!  te adoro"  (LOL, I love you!)  

She touched me by sending me a photo of her wrist...  which, even after 3 years, still dons the bracelet that I made for her.  I have to say THAT took me aback.  I didn't know she still had that thing, let alone wore it every day.  She told me that she never takes it off.   I asked her to hold for a second and I ran to take a picture of myself wearing the necklace she made for me a few years ago.  Messy hair, no make-up... I didn't care.  I just wanted to take a "right now" picture to let her know that I have it close to me at all times.

Her photo of the bracelet

A photo I took of the bracelet before I sent it to the Dominican Republic.


The photo I sent of myself wearing the necklace she made for me. 

She was surprised I still had it!  I told her it was one of the nicest gifts I had ever received and that I would cherish it for the rest of my life.  It really meant a lot to her.

Our conversation eventually evolved to talking about the new boy she liked and how she wondered, in the case I happened to get a new boyfriend in the future, if I would tell him about my girls in the Dominican.  It's not a lie to say that this statement shocked me.  She said, "You probably don't want to tell anyone about me...  a new guy won't need that damage in his life."  For a few minutes, I didn't know how to react.  I just sat there, dumbfounded at her words.  As much as I tell her I am proud to have her in my life, she still doesn't truly believe me?  Suddenly, I had an idea -- I grabbed my camera and ran out to the living room.  I took a picture of MY FAMILY and sent that to her via Facebook.  When she saw the images, she burst into tears.
 

"Does this prove how much I love my girls?  This is the first thing people see when they enter my house!"

"You're really proud of me?  You aren't ashamed to tell people that I am in your life?"

"No, my love.  On the contrary!  I love telling people about the amazing person you are!"   (I mean, I knew her self-worth was less than stellar right now, but this really threw me for a loop....)

"Te quiero muchisimo. Es preciosa estoy llorando... (I love you so much.  It's beautiful. I'm crying).  Never in my life did I think someone could love me so much". 

So... for the third time today, the tears started to flow!  I am such an emotional wreck today!  Haha.  But a HAPPY emotional wreck, so it's not all bad :-)

Ohh, what a day it has been!!  Now I am off to get something ready for dinner and to prepare for my evening of sewing with the little girls at Brownies.  I also get to see my dearest friend, who is back from a week's vacation in Mexico and I get to complain about how tan she is :-) 

Hope your Monday has been as great as mine!

- NWK

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.